On August the 4th, 1884, Gottfried Plüss-Staufer the founder of Omya built a glass sealant manufacturing plant in Oftringen Switzerland. Some years later he acquired a chalk deposit that was used in producing the raw material for the manufacture of glass sealant.
The first grinding facility was set up by Gottfried in 1902 located in Omey, the Champagne area of France. The population of this village was called the « Omyats » which is where the Omya company name originates. Within a few years, the group had expanded its activities to the trade of chalk and the production of linseed oil.
Société Anonyme du Blanc Omya was founded in Paris in 1925.
Industrial growth continued in France with the construction of the Orgon plant (1957) Salses (1968), Entrains (2000) and then Etival plant purchase (2007). MEAC SAS, subsidiary specialised in soil conditioners was established in 1953.
Omya SAS is associated since 1971 with the Dabos family in Onyx Marbre et Granulés SA company (OMG) for marble powder and granulates on St Béat plant.
The sealants plant of Gottfried Plüss Staufer has become a global company present on 5 continents in more than 50 countries with more than 8,000 employees.