Electrical and Automation Engineer
The Electrical and Automation Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, commissioning, troubleshooting, and programming of existing and future electrical and automation systems and equipment, as well the optimization of the different Calcium Carbonate processes and production at the plants. including the design and execution of capital projects and other projects, site support and surveys. This position supports all GOP Americas Electrical and Automation required activities for both North and South America.
- Design Medium and Low Voltage Electrical Systems for Greenfield and Brownfield plants.
- Size Conductors, Cable Tray, Transformers, Active Filters per NFPA70.
- Supervise Electrical Construction On-site and be responsible for Safety Work Conditions, Quality of Installation, Coordination of activities, schedule and KPI report.
- Independently Execute FAT for MCC and other systems that will include 600 VAC or 480 VAC measurements, IO Test, VFD commissioning, protection settings, safety circuit test among others.
- Design and develop process control systems based on project requirements and specifications using company standards, guidelines and libraries.
- Write, test and debug code from scratch for PLC and SCADA systems using different platforms such as Allen Bradley, Schneider Electric and Siemens.
- Conduct tests and simulations to validate control system functionality prior to IO Test.
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation for control systems such as IO List, Automation Network diagrams, instrumentation list, wiring diagrams and user manuals.
- Maintain safe working conditions and practices to achieve a zero (0) lost time injury record within the area of responsibility. Perform work duties in accordance with QSHE system procedures.
- Define and ensure that all projects, equipment specifications and standards, as well as Omya’s guidelines, are maintained and follow proper international codes and regulations, but at minimum local regulations and permits.
- Provide immediate diagnosis assistance to plant personnel when control and electrical systems are malfunctioning or when product is out-of-specification.
- Provide assistance to all plant personnel when systems are malfunctioning or when product is out-of-specification. Includes 24-hour a day coverage for PLC, SCADA, and all computer and networking hardware.
- Assist RAM Engineering to initiate, estimate, seek financial approval, design, specify, direct engineering effort, supervise construction, manage project costs, commissioning, check-out and start-up capital projects as required.
- Seek and interface with all levels of staff and contractors, external engineering companies in the different phases of an electrical or automation projects at various sites and departments to ensure that quality product is produced in an economical and safe manner.
- Act as a project manager on electrical and automation projects, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors or Master of Science’s Degree in Electrical or Control Engineering, or other related engineering.
Minimum of 5-10 years of hands-on experience in the electrical and automation fields (construction, maintenance, supervision, project & engineering phases, upgrades), or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience, are required, PLC programming, SCADA programming, databases, visual basic, networking, servers, Electrical and Automation systems and instrumentation experience in Calcium Carbonate processes is essential.
Acknowledge of electrical testing meters and methods are preferred. Must be able to work independently and accept responsibility for sophisticated and expensive equipment and work responsibly with potentially hazardous processes and systems.
Experience with power substations and distribution-related equipment (control and protection), motor starters (LV and MV), VSD, PLCs and other related equipment is required. Knowledge of electrical and control code standards and regulations is required (NEC, NFPA 70E, CSA Z462, IEEE).
Experience with control systems programming (Allen Bradley, Siemens, Schneider Electric), data acquisition systems, network support, and Microsoft operating systems are strongly preferred.
Experience with mining and industrial process equipment is strongly preferred. Well-developed analytical, judgement, interpersonal, management and communication skills.
Able to lead and direct teams, as necessary and work with all levels inside and outside the organization.
Ideal candidate must be able to travel 50%-60% and eventually, travel schedule may decrease to 25%. This position will require international travel within any plant in the Region Americas, the travel percentage abroad will be approx. 25-30% of the total travel time.