Calcium intake is important throughout a person's life, but especially critical during pregnancy, childhood and old age. People in these special stages of life or with certain illnesses have a genuine need for a calcium supplement.
Calcium carbonate contains close to 40% calcium, making it an excellent source of this nutrient and allowing for the production of smaller tablets.
We can further improve on the key aspect of tablet size by using Omya particle size management technology during production. With their favorable properties in terms of particle size distribution, our powder products can also be used as excipients in some drug delivery systems.
- Chewing gum (i.e. nicotine gum) or nasal inhalers
- Stomach antacids
To serve these special markets, we have two plants – one in the US state of Arizona, and one in south-west France. We work at these plants in accordance with cGMP and the calcium carbonate products are in accordance with applicable monographs in the main pharmacopoeias: EU, JP and US.
In keeping with our tradition of quality and our focus on regulatory affairs, Omya became the first producer of natural calcium carbonate to achieve the certificate of suitability (CEP/CoS) in accordance with the European Pharmacopoeia as an active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) by the European Directorate of the Quality of Medicines (EDQM).
A new generation of multifunctional mineral excipient
- Innovative functionalized excipient for pharmaceuticals
- High efficiency carrier for multiple substances
- Controlled-release properties
- Drug loading
- Orally dispersible tablets
- Calcium Carbonate - USP/EP
- Natural, high-purity products
- Wide particle size variety
- Exceptionally low lead content
- Natural source of calcium
Link to access Safety Data Sheets